Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The pricey excursion to the gas station...

I am completely impressed with my friend Scout. She lives in town and often walks, bikes or carpools everywhere she goes. I am trying to adjust to the huge amount of money I spend each month on gas. Even though I am trying to drive less, it is difficult living in the county and working in town. Some small adjustments are definitely in order! I plan my excursions more effectively these days, and always try to make the most of my outings. I've even tried all the tips I've read about: buying gas in the morning when it is cooler (apparently more gas for the money), filling your gas tank slowly (rather than trying to fill it as quickly as possible) and driving on average about 60 mph rather than going the full speed limit on the freeways. Of course new tires and clean filters are supposed to help, though also cost money as well!





I've finally come across a small adjustment that may not actually save money, but definitely helps me cope with price shock every time I re-fill. I've realized I can travel a little over 100 miles for 20 dollars. So I only purchase 20 dollars worth of gas at a time and play this game with myself where I try to make it last as long as possible between fill-ups. There's something extremely gratifying about purchasing gas in small amounts. At least I do not leave the gas station feeling as if I've spent a large percentage of my pay check all at once now!

No comments:

Post a Comment